Colin Matthews – Chartered Psychologist
BSc (Hons), MA (Merit), Post-MA Dip, C.Psychol. AFBPsS
Colin is a highly experienced psychologist. After qualifying as a psychologist in 2003, he spent over four years working in the NHS in adult mental health services (Christchurch & Southbourne CMHTs) and in children and family mental health services (Purbeck CAMHS). More recently, he worked in Sydney for 4 years as a trauma psychologist, responding on demand to crisis situations including bank robberies, traumatic death and terrorist activities (including the Martin Place siege in Sydney), before returning to the UK in Spring 2015.
His psychological work has included the following:
- Individual therapy for a diverse range of clients with presentations ranging from simple phobias, depression and anxiety to people with a diagnosis of bi-polar and psychosis.
- Supporting staff off work through psychological issues including trauma, stress and depression to recover from their problems and return to work.
- Working psychologically with a range of hospital staff including consultants, junior doctors, clinical managers and staff nurses, and with general practitioners.
- Clinical supervision of staff including employees of welfare services, hospital counselling staff, occupational therapists, nurses and psychologists.
- Provision of psychological expertise, guidance and information to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Psychological wellbeing checks with NSW Fire Brigade.
- Stress management and change management workshops with Qantas.
- Support and advice to HR on the management of restructure, redeployment, redundancy and staff performance issues.
- Psychological support to staff going through redundancy and redeployment, and at exit interviews.
- Trauma support for various agencies including New South Wales (NSW) Police, NSW Ambulance Service, St George’s & NAB Banks, Australia Post & Emergency Service call centre staff. Support included attendance at trauma scene, debriefing of staff, counselling support & management support.
- Expert Witness testimony and psychological reports for legal purposes.
- Coaching of Chief Executives of Local Health Authorities.
- Coaching senior police officers to the rank of Assistant Commissioner.
- Coaching of Executive Directors of NSW Justice Health (who provide clinical services to prisons).
Colin was also an active member of the committee for the Open University Psychological Society (OUPS) and advising psychologist to the mental health magazine “Uncovered”.
He has extensive experience in working with people with a range of complex psychological presentations and culturally diverse backgrounds. He tailors his therapy to the individual. He works with adults (18+) and young people (13-17).