Colin Matthews (Chartered Psychologist)
BSc (Hons), MA (Merit), Post-MA Dip, C.Psychol. AFBPsS
Colin Matthews (Chartered Psychologist) is a highly experienced psychologist. After qualifying in 2003, he spent over four years working in the NHS in adult mental health services (Christchurch & Southbourne CMHTs) and in children and family mental health services (Purbeck CAMHS). More recently, he worked in Sydney for 4 years between 2011 and 2015 as a trauma psychologist. During this period, he attended and assisted at crisis situations including bank robberies, traumatic death and terrorist activities. He restarted his private practice in the UK in March 2015.
- Individual therapy for clients with a range of complex mental health presentations and culturally diverse backgrounds
- Occupational Health Services. Supporting staff off work through mental health issues including trauma, stress and depression to recover from their problems and return to work.
- Working psychologically with a range of hospital staff including consultants, junior doctors, clinical managers and staff nurses, and with general practitioners.
- Clinical supervision of staff including employees of welfare services, hospital counselling staff, OTs, nurses and psychologists.
- Coaching of Chief Executives of Local Health Authorities.
- Provision of psychological expertise, guidance and information to multi-disciplinary teams.
- Psychological wellbeing checks with NSW Fire Brigade.
- Stress management and change management workshops with Qantas.
- Support and advice to HR on the management of restructure, redeployment, redundancy and staff performance issues.
- Psychological support to staff going through redundancy and redeployment, and at exit interviews.
- Trauma support for various agencies including New South Wales (NSW) Police, NSW Ambulance Service, St George’s & NAB Banks, Australia Post & Emergency Service call centre staff. Support included attendance at trauma scene, debriefing of staff, counselling support & management support.
- Expert Witness testimony and psychological reports for legal purposes
- Coaching senior police officers to the rank of Assistant Commissioner
- Coaching of Executive Directors of NSW Justice Health (who provide clinical services to prisons).
Colin was also an active member of the committee for the Open University Psychological Society (OUPS) and advising psychologist to the mental health magazine “Uncovered”.
Colin tailors his therapy to the individual. He works with adults (18+) and young people (13-17).